Happy Tuesday! Let's start with a shameless business plug - If you haven't gotten your Fall Wardrobe Consult / Revamp on the books with me yet, NOW is the time. Don't wait until the temps actually drop to scramble around in your closet and figure out what goes, what stays, and most importantly what to WEAR in the cooler weather this season! With that said, September and October are some of my busiest months and they are booking up quickly. If you haven't already, email me to schedule!
Today I thought I'd share a few tips with everyone about editing your closet in preparation for fall. I'm talking about how to know what to get rid of, what should be on your fall wish list, and where to take those items you purged.
1) "IF YOU DIDN'T WEAR IT, PURGE IT"
This rule can apply in many situations, but not all. It's all dependent on the size of your closet. If you didn't wear it last season because you have so many clothes that you never saw it / forgot about it, then it doesn't necessarily need to go. If you have a smaller, more streamlined wardrobe where you can easily see everything and you didn't wear it last fall/winter, ditch it. You didn't reach for it then, so you won't reach for it as it gets older and older.
2) KEEP ITEMS THAT MAKE YOU HAPPY
If you are one of those with such a large wardrobe that things are getting lost, then use your best judgment to purge (or hire me and I'll tell you exactly what needs to go!) based on what items bring you joy / happiness when you see them. If you look at an item and say "that's fine, it's okay, I guess I'll wear it, blah blah", then chances are you'll never reach for it when getting dressed and it's just taking up wasted space in your closet. Ditch it! Another factor that comes into play is whether or not you like / want to shop for each season. If you love buying new things and are able to do a good shopping trip at the beginning of each new season, DEFINITELY don't hold onto those things that are just okay. They'll soon be replaced with items you'll actually love and wear.
3) THE RULE ON "SKINNY" & "FAT" CLOTHES
Most everyone has those things in their closet that don't fit, and they are saving them for when they lose weight, or in case they gain weight. First of all, don't ever save something for in case you gain weight. That's a rule that everyone can live by. If you're saving those clothes that you love oh-so-much from a size or two (or three, four) ago, really evaluate the reasoning behind it. If you're saving them because they make you think of a time when you felt better about yourself, ditch them and buy clothes that make you feel good about yourself NOW (I can help with this, too!) If you're saving them because you're a couple pounds over your normal and you have a plan in place to get back to that, they can stay. If you've been at your current weight for over a year (barring any circumstances like post-pregnancy, illness, etc) and you still have those items taking up space in your closet, it's time to purge and dress for your current body type. If you still have a goal of losing weight, buy some staples for your current weight and then treat yourself to new "skinny" clothes when you actually lose the weight! The goal is to feel good about yourself wherever you're at - not just wear sweats until you get to your desired weight.
4) 10 FALL STAPLES
These are a few things that I believe every woman should have in her fall wardrobe. They are timeless, classic and will serve you well EVERY fall - not just this one.
1) Dark wash skinny jean. I don't care what your size / body type, you need this. If you're unsure of what looks best on you, I can help
2) Vest. This is the perfect layering piece because it goes over everything from tops, to dresses, to sweaters and more. Whether you like the sweater vest look, military vest, or fur for winter (or all 3 like me), inVEST in a VEST!
3) Booties / Boots. I like to have both in my closet, but if you don't have either, you should at least have one. Choose a neutral color to start with, like taupe or cognac. Then, add in a black.
4) Flat / Slide. I love a great leopard flat, but also really see the value in a neutral slide.
5) Black legging pant. These are not your yoga leggings - they are thicker and more of a "pant." They can be worn with all of your blouses that cover the front & back
6) Long cardigan. Perfect for layering over everything
7) Blouses that cover the front & the back. These are hitting your pocket line or below and are the most flattering length. Plus, you can wear them with everything from skinny jeans to leggings to boot-cut jeans to skirts.
8) A really cute long-sleeved dress. Whether it's a tee-shirt dress, peasant dress, sweater dress or shirt dress, a great long-sleeved dress will go with your booties, flats, tights, vest, etc.
9) Long neutral necklace. Whether you like silver or gold, you need a long necklace that you could throw on every single day if you wanted to.
10) Tunic sweaters. Lightweight, easy for layering, throwing on with leggings or jeans and wearing day to night. Tunic sweaters will NEVER steer you wrong.
5) WHAT TO DO WITH THE THINGS YOU PURGE
I have found that most people (including myself) just like to get this crap outta their house! One of the best ways to do this is with ThredUp. They simply send you a big "clean-out" bag with a pre-paid Fedex label on it. You fill it up, seal it, and drop it at your nearest FedEx location. Then, they sort through it and you get an email with the payout amount for that bag. I have found that they give you a pretty good return, and any designer items are sold separately for the highest price possible. You're going to get the same amount, if not more, than you would if you took the items to a consignment store, AND they'll donate what they don't take if you want them to. So, it gets it out of your house and into the right hands with almost ZERO effort! You can get the money sent to you on a pre-paid Visa gift card, or credited to your ThredUp account so you can shop for more goodies. I even bought a Vince sweater with some of my credits!
I hope this is informative for y'all! If you have any questions, please leave them in the comments below! I'm happy to answer.
***If you've never worked with me before, I'd love to offer you a special discount for us to edit your fall wardrobe! Just use code NEWCLIENT at checkout for 15% off. (You can purchase all services by clicking on the 'PURCHASE' tab at the top of the page). I can't wait to meet some new faces this fall season!